There are a lot of resources at your disposal when you need to create a résumé. You can use the templates that accompany Microsoft Word, for example, or try one of the many free or paid résumé builders online.
If you frequently use Google Docs, though, the simplest solution might simply be to make your résumé there. Google includes five résumé templates in Google Docs – here’s how to use them.
There are five résumé templates in Google Docs offering a broad variety of résumé styles. Here is how to choose a résumé template and make a résumé in Google Docs.
How to use the Google Docs résumé template on a computer
1. Open Google Docs in a web browser and make sure you are logged into your Google account.
2. On the Google Docs home page, click Template gallery in the top-right corner, to the right of Start a new document.
3. Browse for the row marked Resumes. Here you’ll find five résumé formats. You can see what each one likes in thumbnail form. To get a closer look at the résumé (or just start working), click the résumé.
Quick tip: If you don’t see any templates or the Temples gallery link on the Google Docs homepage, it is hidden. To show it, click the three-line menu at the top left, choose Settings, and click the checkbox to select Display recent templates on home screens.
When you select a résumé template, Google Docs makes a copy of the template and opens it as a new document titled Resume. You can now personalize it by editing the document as you would edit any document. Be careful to keep the template’s formatting intact, though.The easiest way to do that is to work on one small block of text at a time – you can select a small block of text and replace it with your own personalized copy. If you accidentally select too much text and wipe out some of the template’s unique formatting, just click the Undo button in the toolbar.
How to use the Google Docs résumé template on a mobile device
It’s a lot more convenient to create a résumé on a computer – the screen is bigger and it’s easier to enter a lot of text. But if you want or need to work on a mobile device, Google makes that easy to do.
1. Start the Google Docs app on your phone or tablet.
2. Tap the New Document button (it looks like a plus sign).
3. In the pop-up, tap Choose template.
4. Browse for the row marked Resumes. Here you’ll find the same five résumé formats that are available in a browser on the computer. When you find the one you want, tap it.
Google Docs makes a copy of the résumé template and opens it as a new document titled Resume. You can now start editing and personalizing it.